Foolproof is a fast-growing, forward-thinking creative company with offices in London, Norwich and Singapore. We are leaders in the human-centred shift in design. We challenge old ideas which slow down positive design-led change. To achieve this, we work with the world’s most ambitious brands from vision and strategy across design and development to delivery to market. We also partner with our parent company Zensar to deliver human experience at scale on digital transformation initiatives.
The role at a glance
As a Principal Consultant, you will be one of the most experienced practitioners in our team. You will work with our most important clients from discovery to delivery, to create tangible results for their business and their customers. As a leader in our experience design practice, you will also help to develop the skills of more junior members of the team.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced, commercially aware practitioner to take the next step in their career with an agency that has big ambitions and a very large appetite for fun.
Your first 6-12 months
Following your induction, your first project will be as the most senior member of a 10-person Foolproof team at a client site. We run the research team at one of the UK’s largest high-street banks.
You will be responsible for successfully leading the research practice in the bank and will report into the bank’s Head of Human-Centred Design. You will be a senior member of their human-centred design centre of excellence, with peers in design and product disciplines. This is an opportunity to shape how a large organisation uses customer research and insight in the design and development of their products and services.
On this project, you will spend 4 days on client site in Islington and 1 day at Foolproof Office near Spitalfields Market. At Foolproof, about half of our work is based at our clients’ offices in London and the other half is based in our office.
Role and responsibilities
- Use your deep expertise in UX methods to advise clients and colleagues on how best to use insight to drive decision making and create positive outcomes for their customers and their business.
- Advocate for customer research in the organisation and its use in the design process.
- Work closely with those peers to ensure that all project disciplines work harmoniously together to produce work of industry-leading quality.
- Work with the team to create and improve ways of working. Bring the latest Research Ops and Design Ops thinking into the organisation.
- Take briefs for research, define the best approach to meet the client’s objectives and assist in scoping the work.
- Help grow and nurture long-term client relationships through a deep understanding of their objectives and future ambitions.
- Expressing your thinking and advice effectively, both conversationally and in written form, persuading colleagues and client stakeholders of your point of view, and creating the trust needed to follow your advice.
- Identify opportunities to grow our reputation, presence and influence in the organisation.
- Develop our people through line management, coaching and mentoring, helping them achieve their personal development objectives and ambitions.
- Champion our culture and values.
- An inspirational leader, able to create an environment for other people to do great work.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Articulate and engaging, able to lead conversations with senior clients.
- Able to understand and navigate the politics of a large organisation.
- Commercially aware, with an understanding of what it takes to make change happen in large organisations.
- A pragmatic approach to problem solving, able to articulate and balance trade-offs to keep teams moving forward.
- A team player with excellent time management skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- At least ten years of experience in a user experience environment, where you have been using insight about people’s behaviour and sentiment to inform the design of better digital experiences.
- A detailed knowledge and practical experience of a wide range of research and design methodologies.
- Strong experience of conducting one-to-one interviews, focus groups, diary studies and other qualitative research methods.
- Commercial awareness, including an understanding of return on investment and online marketing metrics, and complete commitment to evidence and insight as the backbone of design.
- Experience in a client-facing role working with top 100 brands is desirable.
- Experience working on end-to-end projects, from discover and strategy to delivery to market is desirable.
- Experience of the financial services sector is desirable.
- Prior experience of line management is desirable.
We put a lot of time and energy into making Foolproof the best place it can be for our people. We give our team the support they need to develop personally and professionally in a collaborative culture that emphasises learning. We offer competitive salaries and a range of benefits including:
- Regular salary reviews.
- Annual bonus and profit share schemes.
- 25 days holiday which increases with service, plus the option to buy and sell leave.
- Departmental training budgets for learning and development.
- Quarterly away days including a Team Trip abroad.
- Long service awards and enhancement to our standard benefits.
- Company pension scheme.
- Private healthcare.
- Life insurance.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Please note that although this role will be predominantly based in our London office you will be required to travel to our office in Norwich and work on client site as required.