Foolproof’s vision is to improve the lives of billions of people, by helping them to live differently through the experiences we design.
We are looking for another exceptional practitioner in the field of experience design to join our creative studio. They will be responsible for delivering world-class digital solutions for our globally recognised clients.
Foolproof fosters a supportive environment in which you can continue to thrive and grow, as well as mentor and manage more junior practitioners.
Our Principal Designers are encouraged to share their experiences and methods with peers in and outside the business.
As part of our three-stage interview process, you will be expected to present a portfolio of work that demonstrates your ability to produce evidence-driven experience design solutions, and then undertake a practical design task.
You can spot a misaligned pixel from 500 yards and crack jokes about typography. You live and breathe all things design and don’t settle for anything less than perfect. You have a strong command of typography, motion and interaction design and can communicate the underlying principles and theories to those around you. You also enjoy cake, football and giving the occasional talk.
- Minimum of six years delivering design solutions for high profile digital products or services, preferably agency but client side will be considered.
- Strong aesthetic sensibilities as well as the ability to articulate, rationalise and document visual directions.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile, Android and iOS.
- Technical expertise in industry-standard design visualisation software (for example Sketch, Adobe…)
- Technical expertise in industry standard prototyping software (for example Principle, Framer, Origami…)
- A deep understanding of motion design and how it’s applied to interaction and user interface design to reduce perceived latency and improve clarity of communication.
- Undertaking of primary and secondary research, as a core part of your design process: particularly RITE.
- Pitching and winning new business accounts.
- Experience successfully mentoring and line-managing senior level (and below) designers for at least two years.
- Leading cross-disciplinary design and front-end development teams, preferably at a programmatic level.
- Recognised degree-level qualifications in graphic, experience or digital design, and HCI.
As a practitioner
- Delivering design concepts and solutions to meet the needs of the business and its intended audience, in an exceptionally high degree of fidelity and detail.
- Shape, evangelise and espouse Foolproof’s design philosophy and practice, internally and externally.
- Help influence a culture of constructive critique within the studio.
- Presenting and design and creative thinking to clients, with an emphasis on design execution and its relevance to customer-centred design.
- Identifying and communicating objectives for each project you work on, to ensure we achieve the win/win for our clients and their customers.
- Proactively share project progress for review by the Creative Director.
- Support the costing and planning activity of design deliverables, report on the status of such deliverables to the programme management team and notify them of any risks.
- Support the wider sales team by identifying business opportunities, leading pitches, and generating ideas and suggestions for prospective work.
As a manager and mentor
- Line management of various team members; setting and measuring their performance during appraisals and throughout the year.
- Organising regular meetings with your direct reports to discuss and assess their work.
- Providing recommendations for promotion, salary reviews and bonuses within your team to your line manager when necessary.
- Sharing project stories and experiences with the wider business, providing critique and direction to your peers and team members.
- Contribute to company blog posts, social media, white papers, as well as attending or speaking at industry conferences.
- Challenging yourself and others to think creatively and improving the standard of our work by making recommendations for training and development.
- Lead by example and uphold the company’s leadership values at all times.
- A creative, inquisitive mind set.
- An insistence on following human centred design principles.
- Excellent diplomacy and communication skills.
- Fastidious attention to detail.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- Collaborative, whilst taking responsibility for your work.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast growing, forward thinking company. We offer a competitive salary, regular reviews, an annual bonus scheme, profit share, 25 days’ holiday (which increases to 30 with long service awards), matched contributory pension scheme, death in service cover and private medical cover.
Foolproof believes in a culture of learning and development. You will be provided with a mentor and line manager to monitor your progress, and access to a training budget to help you deepen and widen your skills.
We hold Smart Sessions each Wednesday where Foolproofers share their knowledge with the rest of the team, and quarterly company away days, where we share our experiences, and prototype new ways of thinking.
Please send a copy of your CV, covering note and portfolio to our HR Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.