Foolproof’s mission is to help people to live differently. By understanding people, we craft products and services which help them make sense of anything and give them confidence to make good decisions for themselves. Foolproof has been doing this for over fifteen years.
Foolproof is on a journey, from projects to programmes. We’re developing always-on relationships with our clients and are thinking differently about our approach to shaping, scoping and delivering end-to-end programmes of work. That means we’re growing, fast, and not just in the work we do but also in the mix of people who work here.
Our Foolproof Senior Project Managers are unique individuals. Combining a passion for experience design with sharp business acumen, they have responsibility for leading the delivery of our mid-scale client engagements.
They possess a strong understanding across commerciality, delivery and operations, so are equally comfortable discussing new opportunities and handling conversations with senior clients as they are managing a plan and debating details with delivery teams. It’s about having the confidence to have a conversation with anyone on any topic, from high-level strategy to solution design and everything in between.
Reporting to one of Foolproof’s Programme Managers, this role would suit an individual who has experience both leading delivery projects and shaping new opportunities; likely from a consultancy or digital agency background. You’ll have a strong interest in experience design and want to work in a creative, agency environment. You’ll also have a solid understanding of IT delivery and offshore team management.
Role & Responsibilities
We look to our Senior Project Managers to be competent across three core skillsets, and to have a good degree of experience applying these skills to client engagements.
- Lead mid-large scale projects (3-6 months' duration).
- Set up and define project governance models and delivery framework.
- Define project scope, identify key milestones and plan key deliverables.
- Create project plans, set time and budget estimates.
- Set realistic deadlines, communicate consistently to project team.
- Drive project progress, make adjustments to plans as required.
- Proactively manage project budgets, including effective use of project contingencies.
- Proactively identify and manage project risks and issues, minimising uncertainty, escalating as required.
- Compile and maintain effective documentation, including project deliverables, assets, reports and stakeholder communications.
- Organise and motivate project teams, defining a clear path and plan, minimising bureaucracy for team members.
- Communicate with the client and other key stakeholders in a clear and timely fashion, going the extra mile to ensure information does not fall through the cracks.
- Conduct all day-to-day activities to a high quality, coach more junior colleagues.
- Liaise with the Resourcing team to identify, onboard, monitor and/or change project resource profile.
- Liaise with Client Engagement, keeping your counterpart abridged of key decisions which may impact commercials or the client relationship.
- Maintain all internal reporting systems and manage the invoicing process.
- Uncover underlying business or process issues, elicit and capture delivery requirements.
- Probe and challenge stakeholders, to ensure full information is captured.
- Analyse, translate, simplify and organise requirements or processes, to ensure they are complete and unambiguous.
- Organise and document requirements or processes, to ensure they are in a layout and format that can be easily shared with and understood by stakeholders.
- Validate and verify requirements or processes, to ensure they map to the business need being addressed, they are approved by all the appropriate stakeholders and that they meet with relevant quality standards.
- Maintain repository of requirements.
- Holistically examine the impact of change on people, strategy, existing software applications and general business operations.
- Make balanced and informed decisions that consider a wide spectrum of interests.
- Identify the optimal delivery methodology and be flexible in adapting to the specifics of a given project.
- Lead creation of business cases.
- Lead creation of cost/benefit analyses.
- Lead measurement of RoI/benefits realisation.
- Lead stakeholder meetings, facilitate workshops, conduct interviews.
- Own and develop our relationship with the client – you are the custodian of the Foolproof brand.
- Be comfortable talking about your client's business, industry, strategy, goals, challenges and key technologies.
- Develop trust with a range of client stakeholders while leading change.
- Focus on tactical, short-term output, but with an eye to strategic, long-term benefits.
- Look up and around, not just in, to spot and develop incremental growth opportunities.
- Support Client Engagement in identifying and scoping strategic growth opportunities.
- Support our Strategy, Insight, Design and Development Practice teams in identifying and developing new ideas and working practices.
- Support our Operations teams in identifying areas for improved efficiency and best practice, embedding this across the organisation.
- Prepare and delivery training classes for internal Foolproof audiences.
- A future thought leader with a growing presence. The go-to person on a particular topic.
- Support in the hiring of future members of the Delivery Practice.
- Use and develop Practice templates, ensuring your work, and that of your team, is consistent and high quality.
- Help the wider Foolproof business think differently about project/programme delivery, IT delivery and offshore delivery, through effective performance on projects and through advice/coaching.
- An interest and understanding of how a business works – its strategy, structure, management and operations.
- Experience leading mid-large scale projects (3-6 months' duration).
- Experience managing a mid-large sized delivery budget (~ £500k) and management of associated financial processes.
- Experience cultivating and maintaining relationships with sponsor-level clients.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams, in the UK and offshore.
- Experience line managing and providing pastoral support to junior-midweight team members.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Project or equivalent project planning tools.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
- Competent user of at least one requirements management tool (e.g. JIRA, VSTS).
- Experience leading projects using waterfall methodology, and being part of projects using agile methodologies.
- A project management or business analysis qualification is preferred.
- An undergraduate degree is expected.
- At least 4 years' professional experience in a consulting or agency environment is expected.
- Attention to detail – you must be meticulous in your management of the project plan, budgets, risks and issues, and able to multi-task.
- You firmly believe that change is good. You're prepared to challenge the status quo.
- Strong verbal communicator. You must be able to interact effectively with senior clients and senior Foolproof colleagues, building rapport and confidence in your leadership of the project, as well as with delivery teams in the UK, nearshore (Europe) and offshore (primarily India). You should communicate clearly and unambiguously.
- Strong written communicator. You will be expected to deliver a range of different types of document, from emails to presentations, specifications to spreadsheets, so your ability to write clearly, accurately and concisely is important. You’ll be rigorous in documenting stakeholder communications and minute-taking.
- Business acumen. You can articulate Foolproof's mission and strategy. You can understand and interpret company reports and financial statements.
- A strong work ethic, calm in the face of adversity, able to control a cross-functional delivery team, some with a lot of experience and often with varying priorities, towards one goal.
- Problem solving. You must be confident in handling problems of varying sizes, and in identifying and driving pragmatic solutions. Be open to learning and listening to the input of others.
- Able to balance both tactical and strategic objectives, comfortable managing situations where politics may be influencing decision making and/or when team members may be struggling to balance priorities, and sensitively intervene to smooth, mitigate and/or move beyond.
- You should be decisive in your actions, but also flexible to change if warranted in the future. You pick up tasks with little fuss from anywhere across the business, be it commercial, administrative, people-focused or strategic. You may also be required to work away from the London office on client sites up to 4 days per week.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast growing, forward thinking company, and in a part of the business which is expanding rapidly.
We offer a competitive salary, twice yearly reviews, an annual bonus scheme, profit share, 25 days’ holiday (which increases to 30 with long service awards), matched contributory pension scheme, death in service cover and private medical cover.
Foolproof believes in collaborate thinking and learning: we have Smart sessions each Wednesday where a Foolproofer shares their knowledge with the rest of the team. We have quarterly company away days, where we get together to share company updates.
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV along with a covering note to HR Coordinator: email@example.com.